Chronic Muscle / Joint Pain & Fibromyalgia
Chronic Muscle / Joint Pain & Fibromyalgia Protocol
The following statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease. The information below is provided for educational purposes only and is intended for the doctor’s learned consideration in the nutritional care of their patients. The purpose of the information presented here is to educate and in no way is it intended to substitute as medical counseling for individuals.
An incredible 30 billion tablets of NSAIDs are sold annually over-the-counter in the U.S. Why?…
- 105 million Americans experience some element of chronic myofascial pain.
- 50 million of them are partially or totally disabled.
- Chronic muscle and joint pain disorders are the leading cause of work-related disability.
- Chronic back pain is the most common cause of disability in Americans under 45 years old.
Why this epidemic and why treat it nutritionally?
A sedentary lifestyle and the consumption of refined foods low in vital nutrients can lead to Systemic Inflammation, Oxidative Stress and Insulin Resistance now associated with chronic pain, fatigue and even degenerative diseases. Exposure to toxic chemicals in our environment is also associated with the same metabolic dysfunction and consequences.
Repeated exposure to physical and chemical stress stimulates the production of inflammatory enzymes (e.g. Cox 2) causing the release of prostaglandins (e.g.PGE2) which promote Inflammation, Oxidative Stress and subsequently pain.
Also, a deficiency of vital nutrients such as Magnesium and B-Vitamins in muscles causes decreased energy production (ATP) resulting in the formation of pain-causing trigger points. Additionally, low Vitamin D levels are now linked to multiple health problems including muscle and bone pain.
CHRONIC MYOFASCIAL PAIN & POSSIBLE ASSOCIATED METABOLIC DYSFUNCTION
LOW-GRADE SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION:
- hsCRP:>3 mg/L = significant risk;>1 mg/L = increased risk; <0.5 mg/L is ideal
- Fibrinogen: <300 mg/dL is optimal
- Fasting blood glucose of 90 mg/dL to 110 mg/dL = Pre-Insulin Resistance
- Fasting blood glucose>110 mg/dL = Insulin Resistance and>125 mg/dL = Diabetes
- Triglyceride/HDL Ratio:>3/1; one of the best indicators of Insulin Resistance
- Hemoglobin A1c: 5.5% to 6% = Insulin Resistance;>6.5% = Diabetes
HYPOVITAMINOSIS D AND HYPERHOMOCYSTEINEMIA:
- Vitamin D, 25-hydroxycalciferol: Normal 32-100 ng/mL; <40 ng/mL consider Vitamin D therapy
- Homocysteine:>15 umol/L = significant risk; 9-11 umol/L = increased risk;>9 = ideal
Protocols for Muscle and Joint Pain:
1. Lower your patient’s pain levels by improving their diet and lifestyle: Suggest a brisk walk 20 minutes each day. Drastically reduce arachidonic fatty acids from their diet (primarily found in animal products) that produce an inflammatory state in tissues. Have them eat a low glycemic diet rich in phytonutrients from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Remove trans fatty acids from their diet (they are pro-inflammatory) and have them use quality oils; e.g. olive oil or canola oil. Have your patients go to www.glycemicindex.com or www.whfoods.com for guidance on improving their diet.
2. Have your patients stop or at least reduce smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke: Tobacco smoke contains 50 carcinogens and numerous pro-oxidants that cause Chronic Inflammation and Oxidative Stress which can increase pain. Healthy diet, provide your patients with a nutritional program to promote healthy muscle and joint tissue:
3. As part of a healthy diet, provide your patients with a nutritional program to promote healthy muscle and joint tissue:
- INFLAM-95: A highly concentrated blend of Standardized Herbal Extracts specifically formulated to synergistically manage Inflammation, reduce Oxidative Stress and support healthy muscle and joint tissue function. Dosage: 2 tablets 2 times daily
- FIBRO-EASE: A concentrated source of Magnesium Maleate and B-Vitamins; nutrients vital to metabolizing carbohydrates, fats and proteins into usable energy. Improves relaxation of pain-causing myofascial trigger points and helps overcome tension and fatigue. Dosage: 2 tablets 2 times daily
- MITO-DETOX: A unique blend of Standardized Herbs and nutrients that synergistically create a metabolic ‘Tune-Up’ by supporting cellular energy production and detoxification. Reduces muscle soreness and fatigue associated with low energy, especially when used with Fibro-Ease. Dosage: 2 tablets 2 times daily
- SUPER OMEGA-3: Delivers significant EPA/DHA levels to help promote a balanced and healthy eicosanoid synthesis to better manage Inflammation; especially when combined with Inflam-Rx. Dosage: 3 to 6 soft gels daily with meals
- VITAMIN D-1000: Recent studies now show that suboptimal levels of Vitamin D is associated with chronic muscle pain disorders. Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily
SYSTEMIC INFLAMMATION, OXIDATIVE STRESS AND INSULIN RESISTANCE: Metabolic Syndrome is one of the leading causes of Systemic Inflammation and Oxidative Stress, which are major metabolic factors in chronic myofascial pain disorders. In patients with chronic muscle and joint pain problems, always assess them for Insulin Resistance.
- GLUCOSE-IR: A concentrated Herbal, Vitamin and Mineral formula designed specifically to support healthy insulin levels and blood glucose balance. Reducing Insulin Resistance may help in reducing Chronic Inflammation and Oxidative Stress. Dosage: 1 tablet 3 times daily with meals