Heart Disease & Stroke Protocol
Dyslipidemia, Heart Disease & Strokes
DISCLAIMER: The following statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease. The information below is provided for educational purposes only and is intended for the doctor’s learned consideration in the nutritional care of their patients. The purpose of the information presented here is to educate and in no way is it intended to substitute as medical counseling for individuals.
Heart Disease & Strokes:
- At epidemic levels throughout the Western World
- Nearly 62 million Americans have some form of cardiovascular disease
- The top killers in the U.S.; responsible for nearly 1/2 of all U.S. deaths
- Dyslipidemia is associated with atherosclerosis and death in heart disease and strokes
Other Factors in Heart Disease:
Elevated plasma lipoprotein (a) is similar to LDL but has adhesive proteins. High Lp(a) creates a 10x greater risk of CHD than elevated LDL!
Triglycerides are blood fats that can also increase risk and must be reduced. Homocysteine is a metabolite that can accumulate and increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Homocysteine is a key factor in almost 2 out of 10 heart attacks. Because atherosclerosis is now established to be an inflammatory process, the measurement of systemic inflammation in the body is an ideal risk factor. Elevated hsCRP and fibrinogen are great risk factors for systemic inflammation and cardiovascular disease.
Not All Blood Lipids Are Created Equal:
LDL Cholesterol can block arteries, while HDL Cholesterol can actually clear fat from the arterial wall and return it to the liver. A 10% increase in your HDL can decrease the risk of a heart attack by 40%!
Catch the Risks for Cardiovascular Disease Early:
- Total cholesterol greater than 200 mg/dL
- LDL-C over 130 mg/dL and HDL-C under 35 mg/dL
- Risk Ratio of LDL to HDL is greater than 2.5 to 1
- Lp(a)<20 mg/dl = low risk; 20-40 mg/dL = moderate risk;>40 mg/dL = extremely high risk
- Triglycerides:>150 mg/dL
- Homocysteine:>15 umol/L = significant risk; 9-11 umol/L = increased risk; <9 is ideal
- hsCRP:>3 mg/L = significant risk;>1 mg/L = increased risk; <0.5 mg/L is ideal
- Fibrinogen: <300 mg/dL is optimal
Help lower patients risk by improving their diet & lifestyle:
- Suggest a brisk walk 20 minutes each day.
- Drastically reduce saturated fats from their diet; fats primarily found in animal products. Remove margarines, partially hydrogenated oils or trans fatty acids from their diet and have them use quality oils; e.g. olive oil or canola oil.
- Eat a diet rich in protective phytonutrients from fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Have your patients go to www.whfoods.com for guidance on dietary improvement.
- Have patients stop or at least reduce smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke:
Tobacco smoke contains 50 carcinogens that damage your arteries.
Smoking gives you a 5 time’s greater risk of heart disease!
Help your patients reduce their risk factors by providing a nutritional support program to manage and maintain optimum blood lipid levels:
- Cholesterol Complete: Delivers a concentrated blend of Red Yeast Rice Extract, Policosanol Complex and Guggulipid Extract that work synergistically to promote healthy blood lipid levels. Also provides vital Methyl Donors; Folic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12 and Trimethylglycine to lower Homocysteine levels. DOSAGE: 2 tabets 2 times daily
- Super Omega-3: Helps to lower triglycerides and promote overall cardiovascular health. DOSAGE: 2 softgels 2 to 3 times daily
- Q-Sorb 100: Protects and strengthens the heart muscle.
DOSAGE: 1 softgel daily
- Cardio-Ease: A concentrated Herbal, Vitamin and Mineral formula designed to support healthy blood pressure levels and cardiovascular function. DOSAGE: 1 tablet twice daily, up to 2 tablets twice daily
One of the leading causes of abnormal blood lipid levels and Essential Hypertension, which is why they are also primary indicators of this disorder. In any patient with Dyslipidemia or Hypertension, and in addition to the above protocol, please consider these quality products:
- Glucose-IR: A concentrated Herbal, Vitamin and Mineral formula designed specifically to support healthy insulin levels and blood glucose balance. DOSAGE: 3 tablets daily, 1 before each meal
- Mito-Detox: An excellent metabolic ‘Tune-Up’ that optimizes energy production and detoxification. Provides Alpha Lipoic Acid; shown to improve insulin sensitivity. DOSAGE: 2 tablets 2 times daily